Friday, June 30, 2006

Jihva for Ingredients: Dal - Spinach Kootu

Sailu is doing a great job of organsing the 'Jihva for Ingredients' event this time (Indira is the originator of the JFI idea) . Sailu has chosen 'Lentils' as the ingredient for this event on July 1st, which seems so apt and fitting..There can be cookbooks dedicated just for lentils, which are packed with recipes for a variety of breakfast items, soups, main course dishes, desserts and so on. I myself had to choose from a whole lot of recipes and finally decided to go with Spinach Kootu. The following recipe is a contribution for the 'JFI - Dal' event:

Jihva for ingredients
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Spinach when cooked well tastes amazing and the feeling that it is a healthy food is a two-fold incentive both to the palate and the heart. I was running out of choices with spinach dishes when we were invited for dinner to a Tamil friend's house. Apart from rest of the wonderful dishes she had made that day, she made Spinach Kootu. I liked it instantly, but never managed to ask her the recipe. Some wild searches on the internet and I came up with this easy-breezy recipe (Tamil friends please forgive me if it is not an original kootu recipe:) ) Not too much trouble, very tasty and more importantly very healthy. Haffun!





1 bunch spinach
1/2 cup moong dal
2 tsp rasam powder
4-5 tsp dessicated coconut
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mustard
Vegetable oil
Salt to taste

1) Pressure cook the moong dal and spinach along with a pinch of turmeric and 1/4th tsp of oil
2) Take the dessicated coconut and rasam powder in a blender and mix it well
3) Take a deep bottommed vessel, pour some oil, add in the order: mustard seeds and cumin
4) Pour the pressure cooked dal and spinach and mix well. Keep it for boil for 3-4 minutes
5) Add in the coconut - rasam powder mixture and stir well. Add salt as per to your taste, let it boil for few more minutes and switch off.



Serve with hot rice or chapatis.

9 comments:

Indira said...

I like spinach-dal combination verymuch and yours look very good, Nav.

Puspha said...

Ah!!! lovely. This goes very well with fish.

nav said...

Thanks Indira and Pushpa!

sailaja said...

Thats a good kootu recipe using dal and paalakura. Nice entry, Nav.
Thanks for participating in JFI-Dal event and see you at the round up.

Mythiliv said...

Nav,
What a coincidence!! I made Dal Kootu too (my second entry to JFL:Dals) Your recipe is too good :D :D

nav said...

Sailu!

Thanks a lot for organising this event. I am eagerly looking forward for the round up!

Mythili:

I just saw your post. I think great minds think alike ;)

PRITYA said...

A sumptuous moong dal kootu recipe. Would taste great when eaten piping hot with rotis more than rice!

I too prepare moong dal with palak, but I make it watery, so it can be eaten in a cup along with rotis. I boil the dal separately. Then in a karahi, I add some refined oil and a dash of ghee. Once hot, I put in the mustard seeds, broke urad dal, a tsp of jeera and whole garlic crushed together, a pinch of asofoetida, a few small onions(finely chopped) and half a tomato. Then I add the finely chopped palak and stir fry for a while. Finally I add in the cooked dal to this, give it 2 or 3 boils, and put off flame.
Meenakshi at PRITYA

Anonymous said...

heard a good recipe frm my colleague today.
Just substitute spring onion greens for the spinach. Use the onion bulbs at the bottom for the seasoning - sliced and fried in oil aftr the mustard has popped. i also put in a veg bouillon cube for extra taste.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! here